Who Are You Talking To?

I was headed to his office. He'd just entered mine and stole a miniature screwdriver set I'd received as a gift a few months ago for participating in a college fair.

He picks it up off the floor next to the shelf, where it'd been resting for quite a long while. Eying it closely,

"You use this?"

"Yeah I use it," I reply, as he starts to walk towards the door, "I was just--taking apart---that----power strip over there."

"Sure."

"Dude," I say, "if you're going to take that I want compensation! Something in return."

He smiles over his shoulder and begins to walk away down the hall.

"I want adequate compensation, so you start thinking," I say.

A few moments pass, and with manufactured enthusiasm he says,

"Thanks man!"

"Hey, I told you!"

I head to his office. I enter to find him seated and huddled over a small filing cabinet, playing with his eyeglasses and the tool set. Just as I enter I hear,

"-it'll be a good night for you guys."

He wasn't on the phone, never uses speaker.

"Who you talking to?" I ask.

"Whomever," he says, and I stare at his tool set.

"Is there something you should be telling me?"

"Nope."

No comments: